Thursday, July 10, 2014

Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes

"God never meant man to be a purely spiritual creature. That is why He uses material things like bread and wine to put the new life into us. We may think this rather crude and unspiritual. God does not; He invented eating. He likes matter. He invented it." - C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity 



I recently discovered Oh Simple Thoughts and am jumping in on her #breadandwineproject to share recipes and life with other bloggers. She prompted us to think on this quote and the implications of it on our lives. I think it's easy as a Christian to get locked into an "only spiritual" reality, neglecting the day-to-day graces that God gives us. Like awkward interactions with your Target clerk, cooking a meal for a friend, or changing a dirty diaper. There are seemingly small happenings throughout the day that if seen with the right lenses, can easily turn into opportunities to bless and learn. 


God uses bread and wine to put the new life into us. 



He invented eating. He thought it up. Like every other good thing (Target clerk, dirty diaper...) He thought it up. This wasn't our idea. It wasn't my grand plan to feed my family and nourish souls. No, God Himself in human flesh - Jesus - gathered His closest friends around a table, broke bread, poured wine, blessed the Father, and ate. They shared life, stories, joys and hurts. He modeled gathering around the table like no one else could. 




We're heading to Port Aransas today for family vacation and I'm really looking forward to spending a few days away with our sweet family. It's hard to say what I'm most excited about, but I think being able to unplug, spend time outside and laughing with the sibling-in-loves would definitely top that list. 

AND this is Reaghan's first time at the beach! AND I get to cook a few meals for my family. Could it get any better? 

Before we go, I want to share this simple but delicious recipe for sweet potatoes with you. They have become quite the side dish staple in our household as of late. When I first started cooking up sweet potatoes, my husband was like "What are, these are sweet, they're orange...???!!"

I think I've converted him to the sweet-potato-loving-world, and I couldn't be more proud. 

Serves: 2


Ingredients:
2-3 sweet potatoes
¼ cup water, room temp
2-3 glugs of olive oil
A few shakes of:
  • chili powder
  • garlic powder
  • cinnamon
  • salt and pepper 

Preheat oven to 425 f 

Peel and slice sweet potatoes into ¼ inch rounds. You can sub white potatoes here as well, and they'd be delicious! Mix potatoes, seasonings, a couple glugs of olive oil and about ¼ cup of water in a bowl, fully coating the potatoes. Pour evenly onto a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.




“Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes” is part of a blog relaunch series entitled 
"31 Days of Responding to Him" 
Follow along here

No comments:

Post a Comment