Monday, June 23, 2014

Blueberry Peach Galette



I don't know about you, but to me, peaches just taste like summer. As I was making this dessert I reminisced about all the peaches I ate last summer when I was pregnant. My Bradley instructor gave us food charts to track how much protein we were eating each week. (For you preggos -- that's 80-100 grams a week!) The chart also had categories for how much water I was taking in, the yellow/orange fruits and veggies I was eating, among other nutritious things! I never had any trouble fulfilling my weekly requirement of yellow or orange. If I ever had a pregnancy craving it was either yellow peppers or fresh fruits. But most of all, the baby wanted peaches. 




The first time I made a galette was the Apple Gazette from Dinner: A Love Story. I had never even heard of it before. A galette is a French pastry.... or just a fancy open faced pie. It sounds so much more complicated than it is ;) I love it because it's easier to make than a pie. Pies are tricky. I've never been able to get the crust evenly cooked without some measure of stress. 

Serves: 4

Prep:10 minutes 
Cook: 40 minutes 

Ingredients:

frozen pie crust, thawed 
5 peaches peeled, sliced and pitted
1/2 cup sugar  
3/4 cup blueberries 
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice + zest of one lemon 
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1 egg
1 individual size turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
coconut oil

Preheat your oven to 400f. 

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Gently place your peaches in the water, letting them boil for 1-2 minutes. Remove the peaches with a slotted spoon and place in an ice bath of cold water and ice to cool and stop the cooking. The skins should just slide right off, so remove them fully. With a paring knife (pictured below), slice up the peaches and pull them off the pit. If you're having trouble and they don't come right off the pit, just use your knife to cut them into chunks. 


Thaw the pie crust in the fridge so it's easily manageable. Carefully lay the crust evenly over a round 9" pie dish. In a separate bowl, mix together peaches, sugar, blueberries, lemon juice and zest, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. 

Pour this heavenly mixture onto the pie crust and gently pull up the sides of the crust and lightly pinch them together. If your crust is still a bit cold it'll be easier to work with than one that is at room temperature. Beat the egg in a separate bowl and with a pastry brush, lightly brush the egg wash over the crust. This will make the crust a beautiful golden brown and give it a little crispness. Sprinkle just a bit of the turbinado sugar over the egg washed crust. 


Dab coconut oil over the fruit mixture like so....


....and pop that baby in the oven! Set it at 400 for 20 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 and cook for an additional 15 minutes. 


Yummmmmm!!!!!!! Seriously, there are no other words. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or skip it and dig in with a fork right away! Who needs plates when there's so much gooey goodness?!

Enjoy!


“Blueberry Peach Galette”
 is part of a blog
relaunch series entitled "31 Days of Responding to Him" 
Follow along here

1 comment:

  1. I am going to make this with the blackberries I picked in Virginia in a couple of days! I can't wait. I'll tell you how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete