Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A Pep Talk for the Faint of Heart


Many of my friends desire to cook well prepared, healthy meals for their family, but struggle because of the intimidation factor. Let's cut the intimidation factor OUT. I believe it keeps people from experiencing the adventure of cooking. There will be days you throw out dishes that were a disaster (I've had plenty) and days you stumble upon something great. 


Give yourself time to learn. It took me years to learn what I have and I'm still learning every. day. You're not going to become the next Julia Child over night, or even in a few weeks or months. Strive to be you in the kitchen, not some pro-version of some fancy cook you wish you were. That being said, be inspired by those who are worth looking up to in the cooking world. My personal heroes: David Rocco, Ree DrummondJenny Rosenstrach, and most importantly my dad. My dad is an incredible cook and taught me most of what I know from just watching him when I was growing up. The tips and tricks I learned later I would tell him about and he'd affectionately say "yeah, I could have told you that. Just ask your good ol' dad."

Food brings people together -- it offers joy and gives the cook an immense amount of excitement to create something. It brings me joy to know that a friend is enjoying my labor of love. Food offers a chance for conversation. Questions to be asked. Friendships to be made. 

On that note, I want to share a simple recipe I know anyone can throw together! We unintentionally gave up store bought dressing years ago, and rarely eat it unless we are out and about. At home, we like some variation of this best. 


Simple Vinaigrette
I originally discovered this dressing at my favorite local restaurant in Denton. I asked the waitress what was in it and she gave me the ingredients. This is my own rendition of how I imagine this family owned tearoom whips it up. 

1 tablespoon honey 
1 clove garlic, minced 
½ cup olive oil
½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar) 
Salt and pepper to taste 

Combine in a small mason jar and give it a shake. Serve over your favorite bed of greens.

“A Pep Talk for the Faint of Heart”
 is part of a blog 
relaunch series entitled "31 Days of Responding to Him" 
Follow along here

2 comments:

  1. Making your own salad dressing is so much better and so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, I make so many variations of homemade dressing and we love it!

    ReplyDelete